Followers

Monday 17 August 2020

Under the Sea

Good Morning everyone

Today is another little mixed media picture with my 2nd favourite theme of under the sea, think my 1st favourite has to be animals but then i guess my favourite theme is just anything nature😁.


Approx size 6x12" Frame is from poundland, I cut a piece of white card to fit and got started on my background (see last photos for full details) I then stamped the seahorses & shells onto pixie powdered cardstock and cut them out, i stamped the starfish onto red inked cardstock and cut out. I added glossy accents to the starfish and shells. 

Then i got arranging them, this is something i do bit by bit and can take days to all come together to my liking. I will glue a few on let completely dry and then add some more.  I use glue gel so i have time to move them and remove if need be.  A habit from my painting days...can just hear my art teacher saying stand back and look and look some more😁, thats also why i rarely make a card in a day - all that thinking time slows me down😄 - and i never start a card/project until i have an idea 😁

A close up of the seahorses, I did add touches of glitter glue


I added some netting and a little bottle to which id added a little blue alcohol ink to give it a more vintage feel.  Shells collected over the years from beaches here in Cornwall and in Brittany, france. 

I added little chit chat stickers saying 'Amazing, Magic & Beautiful' - which nature is and covered them with glossy accents to give them an enamelled look


and onto the background...

Onto white card i added die cut seahorses, fish and splats - as it will be covered up you can use up any colour card scraps for the die cuts.  I then added texture paste through diamond & dotty stencils.  Once it was all dry i gave a coat of white gesso, this helps make the die cuts look part of the background and then i added brushos in blues and greens.  Once dry i added some torn pieces of script tissue paper with decoupage medium. I then dry bushed on a very light layer of white gesso to the whole panel.

I stencilled some bubbles (see below) and then coated the whole lot in a glossy spray vanish to give a shiny water feel.
My bubbles, I added glossy accents over them after id spray vanished the panel so that they really stand out.  See below for how too for simple bubbles if you don't have a stamp


Circle stencil, soft 'B' pencil (i used 6B), charcoal pencil(optional), white gel pen, paper stump or cotton bud, Ranger glossy accents

1. draw through the stencil with a soft leaded pencil
2. Using a paper stump (or cotton bud) blend the pencil around the whole circle
3. Add charcoal pencil to the bottom edge.  If you don't have a charcoal pencil you can just add more of the soft pencil
4. Blend with the stump into the middle but avoid the top edge where you want it lighter.
5. Add a white gel pen highlight to the top right edge (this doesn't show well on the white but if you look at my finished project you can see that with a coloured background it stands out)
6. Add glossy accents to finish.

7. This shows that once you get the gist of it don't draw the original outline to hard so that its less obvious when you finish. 


Items Used:
Lavinia Sabastian seahorse stamp
Chocolate Baroque seashell collage stamps
Craft stamper seahorse & starfish stamps
Joy crafts seahorse die
Fish die
splat die
Tim holtz chit chat stickers
Stencils - circles, diamond, dotty, 
Sand texture paste
Brusho's seagreen, turquoise, lime, colbalt blue, lemon, gambage, scarlet
Pixie powders red & gold
Mini bottle, net, shells
Ranger diamond stickles & glossy accents

Thank you all for stopping by and thank you to you all who sent me a beautiful birthday card, i had a quiet but lovely day with my parents and lots of craft gifts to feed my craft addiction😁  I hope its a good week for you all. Hugs Emmax



Id love to enter the following:

***

***

***


 

21 comments:

Mrs A. said...

This is a wonderful underwater scene. Love everything you have done to create it. Hugs Mrs A.

Alison59 said...

WOW WOW WOW Emma; this is amazing! What a fabulous piece of art :-)

meg said...

Absolutely stunning underwater scene Emma the colours,die cuts and stamped images are so beautiful

Jenny D said...

What a stunning project! so many beautiful details. Jenny x

Corrie Herriman said...

A fabulous project ! Thank you so much for your contribution to the August 'I do like to be beside the seaside' challenge !
Corrie x

Zoechaos said...

This is simply gorgeous all that texture I want to touch it. Fabulous bright colours and images a really exciting mixed media piece. x

StephW said...

Gosh you are so good at these mixed media projects, love your under the sea scene especially the large seahorse, there's so much detail to stop and admire then you spot something else again! I've got a little jar of tiny seashells on my windowsill collected from Cornish beaches when I was younger ... Steph x

Sue Nicholson said...

Stunning work thanks for sharing cheers Sue x

Debbie said...

Absolutely stunning. It has the WOW factor. A lot of time and effort has clearly gone into this and it's beautiful. You are so creative and it's nice to see mixed media and what you can do with it. Absolutely love this ! x
Debbie


My blog

Tracy said...

This is a gorgeous creation, thank you for popping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

absolutely stunning Ginny x
My Blog As I do Rodos

Diane said...

What a fabulous underwater scene and technique Emma.

Hugs Diane

Jean S said...

Superb underwater theme Emma! Your so talented with all the mix media. Etc you do!

Meant to say congrats being guest designer xx

ALI said...

Stunning work Emma, and thanks for the tip on the bubbles!

Dawn Phillips said...

Wow, this is stunning. Love Dawn x

Kirsty said...

Fabulous mixed media project Emma, love the how to on the bubbles, brilliant. Thank you as always for sharing, your such an inspiration. Big hugs Kirsty. x

Denise Fletcher said...

Love anything sea related! Great textures and touches Emma! Thanks for mini tute!

Kate Jeffery said...

a stunning picture Emma
Kate x

gwen70 said...

Missed this one last week as we were away for a few days. You know what I think of it simply stunning xx

LynneJ said...

Beautifully done! Love the background, and that large seahorse is soooo eyecatching! So glad you joined us at Creative Artiste!

Jane said...

This is really gorgeous, so much detail I really love it. Thanks so much for entering our August challenge over at Country View xx