Followers

Friday, 4 September 2026

Autumn Wheat - Creative Artiste Sept

 Good Morning everyone

Its the first Friday of September so time for a new challenge over at Creative Artiste where the theme is anything mixed media goes

MIXED MEDIA
Use at least 3 different mediums

Ive gone for a full on autumnal wall hanging with sheaves of wheat



Approx size 5.5x7.5" (14x20cm)

Photos below with a step by step.

Once i had made my wheat i added some of the same gilding flakes to my background in places to tie it together.  I then got arranging my wheat using pinflair glue gel, as i had curved the wheat with a ball tool i could add dabs of pinflair behind them, building up a nice full arrangement....just counting ive used about 20 stems.

I then tied a bow using several loops of garden twine for a nice rustic natural feel....it stayed like that for a long time but i kept thinking it needed something and on looking for something else i came across some printed chipboard shapes and in the set was a turquoise heart which was the perfect colour...i added a nice thick layer of glossy accents to it which adds another finish to the project............

I love adding different finishes to alot of my projects so that the light plays on them at different times of the day, always adding a different look and feel depending on which angle you are looking at it and whether its in sunlight or artificial light at night.  


You can see the light hitting the guilding flakes more here



I love how the wheat turned out from the messy painted background to lovely ombre of autumnal colours giving them more depth than a flat single colour and so simple to achieve - see below 

I used garden twine for my hanging for a rustic feel and added a few beads to match the colours of the wheat

I stamped 'Autumn' onto a scrap of kraft card with dark brown ink and tore it into shape and added into place.  I found a turquoise chipboard heart in my stash which i covered in glossy accents and added to the twine bow.

I cut a piece of corrugate cardboard box to size and peeled off some of the top layer to reveal the corrugations.  I then dry brushed with soft blue white acrylic paint which i also used to stencil on some foliage.  I then used grit texture paste through a brick stencil, it is a duck egg blue colour so a nice contrast to the oranges of the wheat.  I then dry brushed on some soft teal over the whole panel and edges.

*

How i made the wheat

I covered 2 sheets of scrap A4 with autumnal coloured acrylic paints - just sponged them on randomly- the messier the better here.  Once dry i added the dreaded gilding flakes - i hate these things so they hide in the back of the cupboard, but i decided to try them this way and found it much better for me as i could just take one flake out at a time so they didn't quite get everywhere.  I just added dabs of mod podge randomly and dotted on the gilding flakes - this is a mixed colour of copper, silver & gold.  Once dry i rubbed off the access.
 
Yes this sheet looks a mess however once its die cut into shape its takes on a completely different look and feel.........see below


I die cut them with my very old IO wheat trio and you get a more natural look with the variegated colours on each head and flashes of the gilding.  Its an easier way to colour die cuts and use up old scrap paper/card as well.  I mostly used folkart matt and pentart chalky paints.  


Items Used
Impression Obsession (IO) wheat tri die set
aall&create stamp set 'seasons'
Cosmic shimmer 'Andy Skinner' matt chalk paint 'Ice Blue' 
FolkArt matte paint - 6459 ocean blue, 434 berry wine, 2560 bark brown, 
954 fresh foliage
Pentart dekor chalky paint - sun yellow, orange, red
Cosmic shimmer guilding flakes
Foliage stencil
Brick stencil
garden twine
cardboard box
beads

I hope you all have a wonderful September and enjoy the splendour of the Autumnal season. Emmax

Id love to enter the following:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Emma

Note: . As blog operator of Trenouths Crafty Creations its my duty to inform you that by leaving a comment or visiting this blog I personally will not use your personal data but by leaving your details you accept that others may visit your blog via mine and that google that runs my blog will use cookies to record your visit and they will use my blog data for statistical analysis & operation. Those of you that leave comments as anonymous - I personally can not track or follow.
I have read and agree to Google's Privacy Policy.