Followers

Monday 28 May 2018

Go Green - Upcycling

Good Morning everyone.

Its time for a new challenge over at Make My Monday,
 the theme this fortnight is:

GO GREEN
Upcycling, recycling, reuse


So i had a dig around and came up with used toothpaste tubes, cat food tins, cat food boxes and plastic packaging and had fun making this wall hanging.  I decided it would be good to go with a nature theme as we can all do our own little bit to help nature and the planet by recycling and reducing our use of plastics and packaging. 



8x8 mountboard panel for the base.  I covered the base with a couple of patterned papers.  I then added a panel of corrugated cardboard with some of the front torn off to reveal the corrugation and texture and added to the base. 
After preparing my recycled items - see below for full details  I arranged them to my liking, 

I added a feather to my birds wing and a couple of others amid my die cut greenery, as well as the foiled foliage i added die cut ferns.

A close up, i added twine in the background for more texture, buttons to my plastic packaging flowers.  Chit Chat stickers used for the title 
'Cherish Everyday  -  Beautiful World'



This shows my used items, 2 toothpaste tubes, ive turned one over so that you can see that although plastic tubes they are foil lined - they are 2 different brands aquafresh & oral B so i think most modern plastic toothpaste tubes are lined, just cut off the top and bottom and cut along one side, wash and they are ready to be used, the cat food tin is foil, plastic packing - some crafty dies came in that and then the cardboard cat food box, has a lovely brown tone to the inside.



This shows them die cut, the leaf swirls are toothpaste tube, the leaf from the foil tin, plastic flowers and the brown bird from the cat food box.  I used my old Sizzix bigz dies to cut them all.



The plastic package flowers, toothpaste & foil all take alcohol inks beautifully to colour them, you can get a lovely marble like effect which adds more interest to them instead of flat colour.  The cat food tin foil is brilliant as you can mold it into shape. 


Items Used:
Sizzix Bigz dies - Flower Layers #5, birds, vine w/leaves, fern
Tattered lace fern dies
Tim Holtz chit chat stickers
Tim Holtz alcohol inks - various colours


I hope i have inspired you to maybe look at some of that 'rubbish' we all produce and think of another way to use it.  Please do hop over and see what the rest of the team has come up with and also what all those entering come up with over the fortnight.  I think this is going to be a good challenge, lets all do a little for our beautiful world.  



Thank you as always for stopping by and all your comments last week. I hope you all enjoy your bank holiday Monday and the sun shines. Emma


20 comments:

gwen70 said...

Brilliant card Emma, love it xx

Sue Nicholson said...

Beautiful card and great idea.

Basslady said...

awww, teamie! so many lovely details on your project!

hugs and kisses from germany
silvi xoxo

ALI said...

Emma that is amazing, well done on the recycled bits x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

What a stunning hanger very clever
Ginny x
My Blog As I do Rodos

Alison59 said...

OMG how resourceful. This is amazing Emma -well done you :-)

Nataliascraft said...

Stunning project Emma, love the beautiful design and great use of recycled items xx

meg said...

Fantastic recycling Emma, I'm a huge fan of corrugated papers and feathers, but hadn't thought about recycling any of your other items, you've inspired me to try harder

Pam said...

An amazing piece of work Emma. Well done on the recycling!
Pam x

pinkclover.cards said...

Amazing project Emma. Great use of things we'd normally throw straight in the recycling bin.
Fatima x

Cherie said...

I have those dies too. I love how you have used them to upcycle junk. The end result is great. x

Denise Fletcher said...

What great use of these recycled items Emma! A lovely piece!

Kate Jeffery said...

looks amazing Emma kate x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous...and so inspiring! You have given a beautiful second life to so much that is usually binned.
Hugs, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

wow Emma...Amazing work..Stunning result...just need a cat now!..here kitty,kitty....xx

Carole Pollard said...

Oh my that's so clever such a special wall hanging its beautiful Love and hugs Carole x

Kirsty Long said...

This is amazing, love all the ideas using up the toothpaste tubes, etc. Brilliant, thanks for sharing, big hugs Kirsty. x

StephW said...

Fantastic wall hanging, reusing at its best but I've never tried a toothpaste tube! Steph x

Kathy P said...

Fabulous project Emma, hugs Kathy x

Priya said...

Wow Emma...
This is such a stunner.
How beautifully you have recycled the things.
Love it.
Hugs,
Priya