Followers

Monday 10 June 2019

Swim Free Seahorse

Good Morning everyone.

Today im sharing the card project i made for my sister in laws birthday, as they live near the sea I had the idea that she can frame it with a box frame and add some of those lovely Cornish seashells she's collected.  Its 8x8" in size.  My first outing for the beautiful Lavinia Sebastian seahorse stamp - I love him. 



8x8 cardbase.  Right quite alot of layers went into the background. 
1. I first heat embossed the shells with clear embossing powder on a piece of white card.  
2.I then stamped the water drops with blue colbalt arcival ink and added glossy accents to them. 
3. I then coloured the panel with green, purple & blue aquatints using wet into wet, so i brushed the panel with plain water and then dropped the aquatints onto it so that they merge together, the shells & water drops resist the inks to stay white.  Once dry i splashed water on top and dabbed dry with a tissue.
4. Once dry i stenciled over the top with large and small circles for a bubble effect using oxide inks in green, purple & blue. 
5. I stamped some fragments of a text stamp & a swirl in soft grey ink.  I removed any ink on the shells with a soft cloth. 
6.  I stamped the 'swirly fronds' along the spine of the seahorse along the bottom to act like seaweed.  I also added in some more with a black fineliner pen. 
7. I inked around the outside edge with chipped sapphire & black soot inks.

When it was completely dry i die cut an oval big enough for the seahorse to the right side.  I attached the panel to the base card, using 3d foam tape behind the main panel and adhered the oval back into place flat so its a little recess.  I did this so it really draws the eye into the seahorse. 

I stamped the seahorse in black archival ink onto a piece of card inked with yellowy oxide inks and cut around him.  I stamped the small seahorses, painted them a yellow/orange and fussy cut out.  I added more detail to the little seahorses with a black fine liner pen along their backs.  I gently curved the seahorses before attaching into place with dimensional glue gel. 

On a scrap of card inked with green oxide inks i stamped the saying and cut out.  I thought it the perfect sentiment as my SIL is a graphic designer & artist and also loves her colour. 


Close up on Sebastian the seahorse, i added a touch of diamond glitter glue to all the seahorses for some bling.


Another close up, you can see the stamped and doodled 'seaweed'


I have mixed alot of different stamps and love the outcome but still keeping the beautiful seahorse as the focus point. I just needed to be patient on building up the background so it came together over a few craft sessions.  I think i shall do myself one for my own wall and add some of my collection of Cornish Seashells. 

Items used:
Sebastian seahorse - Lavinia Stamps  
Small Seahorse - Craft stamper magazine freebie
Seashell stamps - Chocolate Baroque 'seashell collage'
Waterdrop stamp - Designs by Ryn 
Dictionary stamp - Stampin up
Swirl stamp - Inkadinkado 98980 'Gem stone flowers'
'Life is A Canvas' saying - BeeCrafty Stamps
XL Stitched Oval Dies
Stencils - small & large circles
Spectrum Noir aquatints
Distress Inks & Distress Oxide inks

Thank you all for stopping by and all your comments last week.  I hope this week is a good one for you. Emma





Id Love to enter the following:




*****





*****




******



******







26 comments:

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

a beautiful card and background Ginny
My Blog As I do Rodos

meg said...

stunning colours in the background, love the stamps and your sentiment

Viv said...

A fabulous underwater scene created here Emma with lots of lovely detail. It was well worth the effort.
Thank you for sharing with us in our 'True Colours' theme at Stamping Sensations.

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

such a beautiful card ! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us at The Artistic Stamper
WIshing you good luck to win beautiful stamps !

Kate Jeffery said...

a beautiful card Emma
Kate x

Kathleen said...

What a fabulous creation, Emma...there is so much detail to discover and admire. I hope your SIL will be able to frame it as you suggest.
This is a gift to keep on display!

jimlynn said...

In a word.....GORGEOUS!!! This is beyond beautiful!
Lynn

Lori Kobular said...

Love the colors on your gorgeous card! That seahorse looks amazing! Thanks for sharing with us at Lavinia World Challenge #2! I hope you will join us in future challenges!

Julie Odil said...

This is fantastic! You have created something your sister in law will treasure. Thanks for joining us for our 2nd challenge at the Lavinia World Challenge Blog. Julie, DT member

Wendy said...

Oh WOW Emma, this is stunning! gorgeous colours and design, would look really gorgeous framed.....Thanks for joining us Fab'n'Funky :) love your new seahorse stamp.
Wendy x

Donna Ellis said...

Whoa! Emma, this is amazing! I love the purple drama in the background and your amazing seahorse creation! Beautifully done! Such a pleasure to see your pretty card at Lavinia World Challenges. Hope to see more of your creations in the future.
Smiles,
Donna
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

Jean S said...

A fabulous card ,an other great creation with beautiful colours,jxx

brenda said...

A fabulous riot of colour and great scene using Sebastian, many thanks for joining in with our 'True Colours' theme at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

Pam said...

Wow Emma, this is amazing and such a lot of work has gone into this fabulous creation. I hope your SIL will frame it for all to see.
Pa x

StephW said...

Such a fabulous arty creation, love everything about it and finding all the little details you've included ... Steph x

N-Eva said...

Fabulous....love the colour tones and the design is gorgeous... Thank you for sharing your wonderful project at Fab'n'Funky challenge. Neva

Anonymous said...

Stunning work Emma....Amazing project...so much detail...love it..Marilyn.x

Dawn Phillips said...

Wow, it's stunning. I'd be terrified to even attempt something as detailed as this. Love Dawn x

ALI said...

Just stunning, really. I love what you have created x

Julieanne..aka pinkjools said...

Hi Emma....What a Beautiful project....stunning image and colours....Joolsx

Dora said...

Beautiful creation.
Thank you for joining at stamping sensation.

Kathy P said...

Emma another stunning creation, such beautiful colours. I'm sure your sil will love itxx

gwen70 said...

Wonderful under the sea scene Emma, don't know how I missed this one. It is gorgeous xx

Alina Florea said...

Such an AMAZING and complex card! Love the diversity of techniques you used and the color combination is just WOOWWWWWW! Excellent project! Thank you for playing with us over at Lavinia World Challenge! Best of luck, Alina DT

Linda said...

WOW! This looks fab .... so much gorgeous detail. Thanks for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

Kirsty said...

This is amazing Emma, I love how you have done all the layers on the background and thank you so much for your detailed explanation. This is just stunning, I love it all. Big hugs Kirsty. x