Followers

Monday 19 October 2020

Spooky

Good Morning everyone

Today is a little fun mixed media project inspired by 
 Make a halloween scene  

I started with an MDF frame, dug out lots of stamps and mediums and got playing.  Whereas last week my katzelkraft owl was out in the daytime, today its full on night time.  There is an owl that sits on my parents chimney at night hooting - always sounds spooky in the dead of night when everything else is silent.

Ive had this MDF box frame for years, i had the idea of the owls living in an owl barn and looking out the window to the dark of the grave


Frame approx 8x8" Inside frame size 6x6"  Please see last photo for how i did the frame & background.  I then found a chipboard grave stone in my stash which i covered with black gesso and dry brushed on some silver & gold paint.  I added with glue gel and added a skull and leg bone and a fly.  I die cut my spider & web from black card and brushed on silver & gold paint, i added crackle accents to the spiders body.  I glued the web to the top left behind the front frame.

I had the die cut ivy left from another project - its been coloured with brusho's.  I stamped and coloured my owls with inktense pencils and cut them out.  I went with bright colours as i didn't want my project to be too dark on the wall.  I got a dried hazel twig from the hedge and attached to the frame and then arranged my owls.  Tim Holtz words to finish.

I like using inktense pencils to colour images for home decor as ive found they are much more colour fast than using inks.


Of course i had to add glossy accents to the owls eyes


Peeking inside - these fab plastic flies i found in morrisons a few years ago

I first used a brick stencil on the outside frame with texture paste and on the middle piece i just added texture paste with a pallette knife to give a rough texture, once dry painted all with black gesso.  Once the gesso was dry i painted on patches of purple, yellow, green and blue paints to pick up on the colours i used on my owls.  I then dry brushed on more black to help the bright colours blend in but you can still just see them.  I then dry brushed over the top with silver & gold paint to highlight the textures. 

For my scene i cut a piece of white card for fit inside, i added a circle mask to act as the moon and then sprinkled on brushos in colbalt & prussian blue and purple pixie powder to add some shimmer.  Once completely dry i removed the mask and using a brush added a little colour to the moon to make it less white and stark.

I then stamped the big tree & eyes (sheena) in black and the smaller trees and the one with owl (choc baroque)  I coloured them with walnut & black soot oxide inks and added some shadow in the bottom of the frame and around my eyes.  The eyes i coloured with lime/lemonade oxide ink and a white gel pen.

Items Used:
Katzelkraft stamps - KTZ237 'Les Super Chouettes'
Chocolate baroque stamps 'howling moon'
Sheena Douglass stamps 'Little Red' & 'Scary tree'
Ivy, Spider & web dies
Brick stencil
Golden texture paste
Pebeo acrylic paints
MDF box frame
Derwent inktense pencils
Brushos & Pixie powders
Tim Holtz chit chat stickers

Thank you all for stopping by once again.  I hope you have a good week and we have a bit less rain than last week.  Stay safe. Hugs Emmaxx




Id love to enter the following:

Hopefully if the new blogger feature works the links are now attached to the images - so fingers crossed you can click on the image and it takes you there😀
 
***


***

***
***



















 

21 comments:

gwen70 said...

Wow, absolutely fabulous xx

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

This is stunning a great 3d effect Ginny x
My Blog As I do Rodos

Kate Jeffery said...

a fantastic card Emma
Kate x

Alison59 said...

WOW Emma amazing art work :-)

ALI said...

Stunning Emma, so spooky!

meg said...

A brilliant framed project,love your colours stamps and die cuts,a stunning piece

My name is Erika. said...

This is FABULOUS. I can't think of anything better for Halloween than eyes peering out of the dark and owls. (I am a big owl fan year round). I do LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Try It On Tuesday. It inspired me to make some owl art today. Hugs-Erika

StephW said...

Oh my Emma what a fabulous creation, I was immediately drawn to the background eyes & moon, such of lot of detail everywhere & I love the colourful owls too! Steph x

Dawn Phillips said...

Those eyes in the background are really creepy. You certainly nailed Halloween as far as I am concerned. Love Dawn x

Carole Pollard said...

What fabulous cards the colours and designs are just amazing love and hugs Carole x

Hazel (Didos) said...

Oh Emma this is brilliant, what a great creation, Those Spooky eyes freak me right out!! Perfect for Halloween!!! Love Hazel x

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely brilliant Emma love all the details and fabulous colouring of the owls
Carol x

Jean S said...

WOW superb Emma!!! X

Nataliascraft said...

Wow Emma. What a stunning project, such a beautiful details and design, love those birds xx

Meggymay said...

A fabulous Halloween project, so many great details to look at. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne

Kirsty said...

Fabulous Halloween project Emma, love the spooky eyes in the background and all the scary details. Brilliant as usual. Take care, big hugs. xx

Diane said...

Fantastic card Emma, love the colors and dimension.

Hugs Diane

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a fabulous creation this is Emma, each time I look I see something more, loving those peeping eyes in the background and your little Owls all touched by the colours of the night. A super Halloween mixed media creation, thank you for sharing over @ Creative Artiste and joining our October challenge..
Creative wishes Tracey (DT)

Andree said...

A wonderfully spooky project. Fabulous textures, super colours and fantastic details.
Thank you for joining in with our October challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Witchcrafted Life said...

What an awesomely detailed, creative, and truly fantastic Halloween make. I'm especially enamoured with the gorgeous climbing ivy. Swoon!

Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

Kuni said...

Such a beautiful card.
Thank you for joining us at the Sweet Stampers and i hope to see you again.
Hugs
Kuni